Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pinocchio and me


The other day we watched Pinocchio, a sweet gift from my mother-in-law. I was a little distracted by the Blue Fairy (me: "Do I look like her? I want to look like her." David: "No.") and the realization that the movie is not far from propaganda for kids ("I'm collecting stupid little boys... You know, the disobedient ones who play hooky from school."). Still, I couldn't help but love moments like Pinocchio's dancing and Geppetto calling his fish "my little water baby." 

I was struck by the words the fairy used to bring Pinocchio to life: "Little puppet made of pine, awake! The gift of life is thine." I, too, have been given the incredible gift of life, both now and to come. Thank God my gift does not depend on me being an obedient girl (who doesn't play hooky from school), because I would have failed a long time ago....

No comments: