Saturday, May 23, 2009

Felt up by an American Idol

All this talk about American Idol has me thinking about something that took place many years ago...
 
Senior year of high school, my choir took a trip to New York City. We saw a few shows on Broadway (Aida, Rent, The Producers), took a pedi-cab through Times Square, ate late-night pizza, sang with other schools at Carnegie Hall on Easter Sunday, and dropped shampoo-filled shower cap "bombs" on cabs below our hotel. We had fun as only high schoolers can.

One morning a group of us got up really early and headed down to the Today Show. We made a few signs, and stood outside waiting for our media coverage. I asked Al, "Call I shake your hand on air?" He said, "No, but you can shake it right now." Anne called me beautiful (I'm not sure why, except that perhaps she's just that sweet- or insincere- and says it to everyone). Katie shook our hands without saying much, and our attempts at getting Matt to come over and talk were answered with a look that says, "You guys.... I love you but I'm busy here." 

The guest performer was Kimberly Caldwell, one of the top contestants on American Idol season 2. She looked beautiful as she walked around giving autographs to all of her fans. I asked for a picture, and she said, "Sure!" She leaned in, one arm around my shoulder and the other...uh, where should it go...on my boob! Immediately after placing her hand directly on my boob she looked down and gasped in shock. She moved her hand in time for the photo, but the moment was captured on her face for all time. 


No comments: