Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween in Freetown

(Marathon runner)
(A present. The paper had the word "Yippee" written all over it, which seemed pretty sarcastic without the necessary exclamation points. "Yippee." Wah wah.)

When I walked out of the house, I asked our guard Michael what he thought of my dress. He said it was very fine, and didn't seem to notice anything strange. I asked if he had heard of Halloween, and then I tried to explain the concept. "It's a holiday where people dress up like things they aren't and eat candy. I am a present." Of course. Makes perfect sense.

It was a bit of an adventure getting to our friend's Halloween party. Obviously, we didn't see anyone else dressed up until we got there. After a journey involving walking, a poda poda and a taxi, we realized David was probably the most noticeably ridiculous, since shiny dresses are not as unusual as huge white bearded men wearing shorts and tank tops (though my dress made quite the noise whenever I moved). My favorite costumes of the night? Our hosts Wes and Isla had matching local primary school uniforms made in their size (picture bright pink and maroon with checkered trim, matching maroon felt hat, tall white socks, etc.).

Want to see something scary?


Now want to see something truly frightening?


AHHHHHH!!!!!!! Spooky!!!

3 comments:

The Bartons said...

wwwahhhh--- i almost peed my pants that was so scary!
cute present idea! very creative.

LESLIE said...

very scary!

vcouvrey said...

honestly though, davids face in that last pic is SCARY.