Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Camping at Bureh Beach





(Where we slept. The water came up to that log.)


Bureh Beach, about an hour and a half from Freetown, is probably the most beautiful place I have ever been. We celebrated our friend Shane's birthday by camping out under the stars for the weekend. We surfed with the local boys at sunset, ate fresh fish and rice for dinner, shared stories around a bonfire, stared in awe at the Milky Way, swam in the rolling phosphorescent waves at 2am, and woke to the sound of the waves breaking just yards from our beds.

4 comments:

vcouvrey said...

so pretty! and fun!
great pics, linds
man, you're really working that phosphorescent word into your vocabulary lately...not sure I've ever used that in a sentence

Unknown said...

What an amazing place! I was there about 6 years ago and remember taking a janky old poda poda to get there, swimming out as far as we could and trying to avoid jellyfish! I miss Sierra Leone so much!

Emily Greene said...

This is JUST the kind of simple pleasure that I love the most. I'm so jealous. You take beautiful pictures.

Alt-ternative Universe said...

Really amazing pictures Lindsay. You guys are so cool swimming w/ jellies at 2 AM. Someday you can say to your kids, "So, me & your dad are so cool that we once . . ." LOL!