Thursday, September 30, 2010

A compliment



These sweet ladies spend their days in front of a shop in my neighborhood. They call themselves my Sierra Leone Grandmas and every time I pass I must stop for hugs, hand shakes and questions. "Ow was di work? Where is di husband? You going home now? Okay okay okay."

Yesterday was pretty normal- hugs, shakes, questions, answers, waves, etc. After I hugged one goodbye, she said, "You are looking..." and then made hand motions that looked like what I would do if I were trying to describe a football player, a bear, or something else really big and strong.

I had a confused look on my face. Her friend kindly explained, "She says you are looking fatter."

Oh, why thank you, Grandma. I would have preferred healthy or strong, but thanks anyway.

1 comment:

Alt-ternative Universe said...

I love your pictures. I wish I took ones as beautiful as these. I love the compliment too!