Friday, July 16, 2010

The guards




We have 3 "guards" who hang out at our compound and watch over the house we share with an American/Irish couple upstairs. In actuality, they are more like caretakers/groundskeepers/guides than guards. They let us in and out of the gate, turn the generator on when the electricity goes out, answer our questions on everything from types of food to the best beaches, and tell us when it is going to rain so we should bring a stinkin' umbrella (idiots!). Here's a typical conversation between Michael ("M") and me ("L").

L: "Hello, Michael."
M: "Linsa! Hello, hello! How was the day?"
L: "Fine, how are you?"
M: "Fine, fine. How was work?"
L: "Fine, work was fine."
M: "Okay, okay."
L: "It rained a lot today."
M: "Yes, yes, so much rain today."
L: "Will it rain tomorrow?"
M: "No, it will not rain tomorrow."
L: "You can always tell."
M: "Yes, I forecast the weather. Tomorrow will be no rain."
L: "You are always right! Well, have a good night."
M: "Okay, tomorrow! Tomorrow!"
L: "Goodnight, Michael."
M: "Linsa!"

Hopefully I'll learn some Krio soon so I can get to know them all better. But for now, I enjoy these quick exchanges and their smiling faces. We would be lost (and drenched) without them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you and David have some people to look out for you! Thanks for continuing to post your insights and thoughts - I like to know how you two are doing and it helps me keep you in my prayers.