Friday, July 2, 2010

Barf?



We are here in Sierra Leone, wandering our neighborhood and enjoying the thunderstorms that have come every night. But, we'll get to that.

My dear friend Leenie took us to the airport in San Francisco on Tuesday afternoon for the first of 3 flights and 1 helicopter ride that we would take to Freetown. An incident happened in the airport that is equal parts disgusting and hilarious. But wait, we'll get to that in a minute.

The weekend before that my old college friends got together for a reunion. It was so good to see their faces and hear about their lives, and I'll show some pics later. The reunion took place right before we left for our adventure. Everyone went their separate ways on Monday and Leenie took us to the airport on Tuesday. That brings me to my story.

David and I decided to get some food quickly before our flight. I bought a bowl of thick, red, cheesy and sour creamy glop called Mexican chicken tortilla soup. I took one satisfying bite and stopped to break into my roll for dipping. The roll was so tough that I lost my grip, my arm flew back into the bowl and the entire thing exploded onto my body. I stood up with a scream, frantically trying to pull my pants from my burning legs without stripping in the middle of the food court.

The soup covered an incredible range- all the way from my boobs to my knees, but mostly concentrated around my crotch. This would not have been so bad had it been a brothy, less cheesy and sour creamy soup. This particular soup, when spread over a body, was the exact consistency and colors of vomit. I stood there with what looked like barf (or perhaps the big D) all over myself, trying to wipe it off but it was too thick and sticky. Our plane was leaving in 25 minutes. I laughed at the ridiculousness of it all.

David had some extra shorts so I held them over my body and walked across the food court to the bathrooms. The soup was down my pants, on my shirt, between my legs, everywhere. I put the shorts on and tried to wash my pants and shirt in the sink. I could see people look at me disgusted from the corner of their eyes. I kept saying, "It's just soup," but I don't think they believed me. One women responded, "Oh, I just thought the flight didn't sit well with you." Duh. Another asked, "Do you have to travel far? Where are you going?" And I said, "West Africa." She shook her head.

Wearing a green shirt and huge, bright red shorts down to my knees, I carried the wet, disgusting pants through 3 airports before I got them clean and dry enough to wear. David called me a Christmas elf because of the colors and my legs looked so short.

So, that brings us to Sierra Leone! Back to lightning, World Cup, and red dirt roads. Slow internet, "How di bodi?" and palm trees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG So typical, I can see it so perfectly!!! Oh Linds, never a dull moment or unspilt food around you and that is why I love you.

The Bartons said...

awww- so sorry about the spill....SO something that would have happened to me though! atleast David had the extra pair of clothes! And funny enough- your outfit looks like what I've been wearing for the past 2 weeks b/c matt's clothes fit me better/are more comfortable than my maternity clothes ;) haha so when i saw the pics i was like- sweet! someone else who likes their husband's basketball shorts! haha

philemgreene said...

this is flippin' hilarious. I just read this out loud to our family here in southern CA and we all had a good long laugh. we love you guys and miss you so much already.

Meg said...

Lol! Love it! I giggled through the whole thing. Glad you guys made it their safely and looking forward to many more interesting posts :)

Sally Loo's Cafe said...

Linds!!! of course you would do that. I feel like there was another story of a hot spill on your front...hmm.
We are so so excited for you guys!!!

Robin/Mom/Mimee said...

You will always travel with a change of clothes now that this has happened. I learned that after our trip to Vietnam. Glad you are there safe.