Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday


As the forehead of the congregant is marked with ash, the church leader says, "For you are dust, and to dust you shall return" (Genesis 3:19). I need that reminder. I've got pride issues, as David loves to tell me.

Today, Ash Wednesday, is the beginning of the season of Lent. Despite not being Catholic, I have been practicing Lent since junior high. That was a time when giving up candy or soda was cool, and my friends and I loved being able to complain about our sacrifices. "No candy for 46 days! How will you do it?" "Not that big a deal when you're awesome" (paraphasing).

This year, I'm praying for something different. My hope is that Lent will help me reflect on my own depravity so I can better understand how undeserving I am of God's love. I am but dust.

For those who are wondering (VANESSA), I'm giving up snacks.

3 comments:

vcouvrey said...

haha, it took me a second, but i finally remembered i had commented on your blog post last year inquiring about what you gave up...right?

someones got to ask for the masses you know ;-)

p.s. you're brave

The Bartons said...

Hey! Glad I have your blog now! As I'm giving up facebook. I hate the darn thing and complain about it all the time- but yet I spend way too much time on it- when I could be doing many more productive things :) So, glad we're 'friends' now- but you'll have to stalk me via blog instead :) haha
I'll try not to tempt your snack craving with baby cake tomorrow night:) haha

Paul Cohen said...

Plz dont give up catz for lent :(
You can haz all the cheezeburgers you wantz, just dont give up on CATZ!!!