Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bishop's 2009

Today we finished day 6 of Bishop's Peak Challenge 2009. To complete the challenge, you must hike Bishop's every day for a month. And not one of those short months- a real 31-day month. You can only skip days if you're out of town, but you must make them up at the end.

According to Day Hikes Around San Luis Obispo County (one of the nerdier books in my library), Bishop's is 4.5 miles roundtrip. It is SLO's tallest morro, and "the classic backdrop of San Luis Obispo." From the top you can see the whole town, the ocean, the dunes, and all of the surrounding hills. It's beautiful.

To be honest, I invented this challenge as a way to trick David into being active. Contrary to his super-babe appearance and natural athletic ability, he would rather sit on a couch and cuddle than hike, any day. But when you give him a crazy challenge, with a hint of danger and the possibility of injury, he's all for it.

We took Atticus with us today, and I'm pretty proud of what he did. You won't believe it, but I'm going to tell you anyway. He peed, literally, 23 times. His previous records were 8 and 12. I think he caught on to the fact that we were counting, and he felt his own little challenge. At one point David said, "I hope he gets 22," and just then he stopped and squirted out a few drops for the 22nd time. Incredible.

(David and me at the top.)