Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Baltimore, the Greatest City in America


Or so it claims. I'm not sure who's brilliant marketing idea this was, but I'm not convinced. At least not yet. I think you will get the gist of my weekend in Baltimore from the following stories.

After taking 3 overnight flights, with long layovers in between each, I finally arrived in the city. I bought a ticket for the light rail, and climbed aboard. Holding my ticket in the air, I asked a pair of girls, "Do I have to do anything with this thingy?" They looked me up and down, laughed, whispered mean things in each others' ears, and said, "Uh...no!" like I was a big dummy. 

Once at the hostel, which might have been the cleanest and nicest hostel I've ever been to, I ditched my bags and headed out to explore. I forgot to bring socks, so I sported my Rainbow flip flops. All you central coasters know what I'm talking about. As it turns out, people in Baltimore don't where flip flips when it is pouring rain and about 45 degrees. Weird! As I walked past a homeless man, pants soaked to the knee, he said, "Girl, you look cold!"

The morning I left, I had to catch the first light rail to the airport. At about 5 in the morning, I followed the hostel employee's directions to the stop, and waited a few minutes in the rain. I saw the train pull up down the street, so I ran with my bag bouncing at my side, praying that I wouldn't fall. I knocked on the door, and the driver ignored me. The train started up again, and I realized that the real stop was one more block down the street. A man across the street yelled so everyone could hear, "Giiiiiirl, the stop's down there! I think he was waiting for you!" I started running again. I made it to the stop, where about 10 people were already waiting, and once again I tried to board. Well, this train was not even operating yet. The one we wanted was coming in 10 minutes. Boy, did I look eager, chasing the train down the street and banging on the door.

When we move, job number 1: learn how to use public transportation.

(Rowhomes in Charles Village area.)

No comments: