Monday, February 16, 2009

I will love you forever

Saturday was the day for lovers, and, like last year, my lover and I delivered flowers for Albert's Florist. My roommates Janne and Kathleen worked at Albert's during college, and the owners, Barkev and Tsolig, became friends of mine and David's.

My favorite delivery of the day was to a nice little house near Bishop's Peak. A sign on the door beneath a rusty bronze bell said, "Ring bell LOUDLY." After ringing a few times, and covering my ears to protect from ear damage, a woman came to the door dressed to the nines in a powder blue suit and pearls. She said, "Oh how beautiful! I'll add them to the others." She had already received 4 arrangements, and it was only 9 in the morning. I said, "Wow, you must have a lot of people who love you." She replied, "That's what happens when you're 95. My baby boy is coming to visit me today too. He's 52." What an incredible thing, to be alive for 95 years and to experience such depth and richness of love. I felt so peaceful talking with her. If I live that long, I hope I get at least one flower from someone who loves me.

After delivering I surprised David with a couple's massage and champagne. I lied and told him we were going to the beach, and he felt like a goober when he showed up at the spa wearing sweatpants and a huge striped poncho from Tijuana. The massage was lovely, and then we went to the beach for burgers at Longboards.

I love you, Husband. I will love you forever.

2 comments:

vcouvrey said...

I love that David came in his poncho! so classic! good v-day planning linds...I miss delivering flowers at Alberts

Carrie Squires said...

You guys are so cute. This story is verbatim as you told it to me... the lady with the powder blue suit and pearls, that is.