Friday, August 6, 2010

I passed! I passed!

(The cohort, jumping for joy right after the tested ended.)

I passed my comprehensive exams, and that means I am almost officially done with my masters degree! I am relieved, excited, and exhausted just thinking back on that horrible, horrible test day back in early June.

Classes ended in May and we had a week and a half to study for the exam. All year people had been telling us that we should start studying early, but that was impossible while trying to finish 4th term classes, plan our MHS presentation requirements, arrange our practicums, etc.

A few of us formed a group for some hard-core studying the week of the test. We loaded up on Trader Joes snacks and spent some 10 hour days going through our courses, quizzing each other with the questions we just KNEW would be asked, and trying to calculate the probability that we would actually fail (low, I insisted).

The test itself was from 8:30am until 6pm, with a calculations/ short answer portion followed by two long essays. We got there early to get good computers in the back row of the lab, loaded with snacks and well wishes, our bodies tense from stress. To fail meant having to return to Baltimore to take it again in six months, not to mention the embarrassment.

Despite the fact that my group had emphasized the exact wrong things and the calculation questions were structured in ways we had never seen, I managed to improvise some answers for the first half of the test. I started on the first essay, and had spent almost 2 hours on it when my computer froze. “No big deal,” I thought, “I’ll just go down to the IT guys and have them help me.” The IT guys were busy, so I went to the proctor’s office to let him know that my computer was frozen. He didn’t seem to understand why I was there. “So…I’m just hoping I don’t lose the essay.” He replied, “Yeah, me too.” Thanks for your help.

After about 15 minutes (of precious test time) the IT guy came to the computer lab. He played around for a minute, then came to his conclusion.

“The computer is frozen and you will lose the document.”
“Isn’t there the chance the computer will recover it?”
“No. Not on these computers.”
“Is there anything you can do?”
“No. How much have you done?”
“Uh… a lot? What do you mean?”
“HOW MUCH HAVE YOU DONE?” This guy talked so loud, at this point everyone in the lab was aware of what was happening. I felt people looking at me, watching how I would react to this news. Mieko handed me her iPhone so I could take a picture of the screen, and other people asked how they could help. I stood against the back wall, trying really hard not to cry.

“I’ll restart the computer.”
“Okay,” I replied shakily.
“Here is the document. Some of it is recovered.”
“Okay. Thanks.” This guy had played with my emotions too much, and I left the room to go cry in the bathroom.

I finished the test and submitted it with 4 minutes to spare. Then we headed to a restaurant for a stiff drink.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You're such a smarty and now the world will know because you will be making a change for the better!

The Bartons said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE! Congrats Linds! We knew you could do it!

Sally Loo's Cafe said...

you are such a smarty pants! we are so so proud of you and miss you SO much. We are trying to think of how we can cart the wholesome hut your way and sell acai bowls in sierra leone.

vcouvrey said...

LOVE that pic! congats linds...you rock! ok, now come home so we can hang out and snuggle :)

Jen Hay said...

Congrats CUZ! A good cry and a stiff drink always do the trick:)