Thursday, November 12, 2009

Why I've been smiling


On the shuttle home I had the urge to smile. So I did. Smiles are too rare, and I've decided I'm not going to fight the urge. If I want to smile, I'm going to. So there!, all you shuttle people who thought I was crazy.

Some things I'm smiling about:
Tomorrow is David's birthday and he is definitely worth celebrating.
David bought me a little European stovetop espresso maker, and each morning I've been having an Americano in a tiny porcelain mug.
My classmates (or "cohort" as they like to say) threw me a surprise birthday dinner at the Turkish restaurant down the street. Almost everyone in my program came, which is a big deal for these super studyaholics.
There was carrot cake involved.
I am blessed with amazing friends. Friends who will write you poems and friends who will ask about your toothache from a week ago and friends who will pray for you even when you don't ask.
It is blustery and rainy outside, which is an excellent backdrop for sleep.
I've discovered the best homemade pizza: eggplant and green olive.
Baltimore isn't so bad, really. It's actually rather nice.

Oh, and see below. There's one big reason to smile.

No comments: