Friday, September 14, 2012

Out of Africa (AKA where are you Denys?!)

On a beautiful Saturday afternoon I visited the home of Karen Blixen, author of Out of Africa. Despite the sometimes uncomfortable colonial perspective, I loved the book and the movie. Real-life Karen made quite an impact on the surrounding community (now called "Karen"), though some remember her as an unlikable figure who used to boss Denys around. She did have a light on her porch that indicated whether Denys was allowed to visit. Bossy? Or appealingly practical? I'm undecided. She was certainly a firecracker.

The tour started with the guide reciting her painfully long monologue as fast as humanly possible. Honestly, I heard every third word. When I took a few pictures while she was still talking, I was instructed to sit down and wait until the monologue was over. Oops!

Waiting for Denys to fly in over the Ngong Hills. Sadly, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford were no where to be found. Next time. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot of you! xox

Farmgirl Susan said...

What an amazing trip you went on! Out of Africa is my all time favorite movie. If you're an Out of Africa fan and into background info, director commentaries, etc., Sydney Pollack's feature commentary is fascinating. There's also a documentary called Song of Africa about making the movie (it was included on my copy of the DVD) that's great too. :)