Saturday, August 8, 2009

Clovis, CA to Goodyear, AZ

Day number 1!





This first day was the longest and probably most boring portion of the trip. It is the only part we have done before, and the whole thing was pretty familiar. It felt good to get it over with and know that the drives will get more exciting as we go.

Highlights:
- Arriving at my sissies and seeing the whole fam, including The One I Love (Jay). I woke him up from a nap, and he looked at me with a confused face for a few seconds. Then he burst into a smile.
- Before we got there they captured a scorpion in our bathroom. They also caught a wolf spider that night. We had the true Arizona experience, desert creatures and all.
- Passing through Blythe, my dad's old stomping grounds. He spent a summer there picking cantelope. We had cantelope with dinner.
- The temperature was in the low hundreds, and everyone was talking about how cool it was. This may seem silly, but I was really thankful.

I am starting to appreciate the desert. I like to look out across the nothingness, the dry dirt and weeds and bushes, and think about all that is going on that I can't see. The desert is active and alive, even if it looks asleep from the car.

No comments: